"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."

Borges

Friday, January 25, 2008

Poetry Friday


It's been raining here in Eagle Rock for days off and on, but last night it never stopped and is still going strong. Great torrents and sheets of hard rain, a blessing on drought-ridden Southern California but I've had enough of it. I've been sick with the flu and if I go out into the wet, I start coughing. Blah. Puts me in a mood because I know I have to go out in a few hours to the doctor's office and then from there to work.

I heard a bird singing outside my bedroom window this morning, just a few minutes ago and it changed my mood. How can it sing so sweetly? It must be drenched, the poor thing. I hope it's found shelter in some strange, dry spot in the huge magnolia tree in our backyard. I hope its song isn't a cry of despair.

The brave bird (for somehow in my mind, he is now a he and a very brave he) gave me some of his courage to go out and slog through the rain and cold. He put a smile on my face and got me to thinking about birds in general. I found a poem about swallows that I fell in love with from a poet I didn't know. The bird brought me courage, a smile, a poem and a new poet whose beautiful name I covet, think is perfect for a poet and makes me smile more. I think that makes my bird an angel.

Swallow by Paige Hill Starzinger

barbs of outer wing-feather
recurved into minute hooklets
from base to tip a rasping

dusky throated northern rough

as a bolus is pushed pons and pharynx
the anterior tongue lifts to hard palate
elevates to soft and seals

lores darker than eyes bill black
forager with forked tail weak feet
more wing than any other song




To read the rest of this magnificent poem click here. Poetry Friday is being hosted by Mentor Texts and More. Thanks for hosting!

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Feel better, G!
I've lost count of how many days of rain we've had here in Glasgow. Then on Thursday, we had an hour of sun (as well as ten minutes of hail, and a half hour of snow). The birds came out, magpies hopping, gulls wheeling, and I was quite cheered. I TOTALLY know how you feel.

Hang in there.

Sara said...

"noted for tolerance of human disturbance" I love that bit. Such a nice balance of the scientific with the lyrical in this poem.

Hope you weather through your flu and the rain.

BlogBurst.com