"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."

Borges

Friday, November 09, 2007

Poetry Friday - Dylan Thomas' Birthday


Today is the birthday of Dylan Marlais Thomas, one of my favorite poets.

In My Craft or Sullen Art

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labor by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.
To read the rest of this poem, click here. To find out more about Dylan Thomas, click here.
The round up is being held at A Wrung Sponge. Thanks for hosting!

5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love Dylan Thomas too. Once my priest was baptizing a baby named Dylan Michael and she called him Dylan Thomas by mistake. That's when I knew I was in the right church.

Sara said...

My dad's family is part Welsh, and I've always hoped to find out one day that Dylan Thomas was a long lost cousin. Thanks for honoring him today.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing this one. Cloudscome, that's a cool story.

Anonymous said...

Dylan Thomas . . . such a great name, such a great poet.

tanita✿davis said...

I haven't read as much of Dylan Thomas as I'd like -- I should read more!

BlogBurst.com