"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."

Borges

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Poetry Friday


I was going to post about raulsalinas, who died a few days ago and reference some of his marvelous Chicanindio poetry but I remembered that I did post about him when I learned that he had he died and I stumbled onto this while looking for something else and, well I just had to post it. It made me laugh out loud when I was feeling very sad about the loss of a great poet like Raul. The wry sense of humor in the poem that chose me for Poetry Friday reminded me of my grandfather and his jokes and I thought to myself, "this is perfect for today."



My Affair with Rumpelstiltskin
by Ina Loewenberg

He wasn't really bad to look at
if you don't mind your men so short.
His head was disproportionate
but forceful, and his neck was taut,
his eyebrows were pointed and curly
and of course his black eyes burned
with mad glee, his arms were fully
muscled, his booted feet neatly turned.

He made his offer, good as gold,
so confident I would accept his special skill
to save my skin, but I, surprisingly bold,
countered with the skin itself, the heart, the will.
The straw was scratchy but the man was smooth,
he brought down pillows to cushion our elation;
I slept then while he labored to produce
the glitter that insured my royal station.


Read the rest here. The round-up is here at Hip Writer Mama's. Thanks for hosting!

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

OOOOH, Gina, NAUGHTY!

Hm. She'd have been much better off doing it this way...

laurasalas said...

A sexy Rumpelstiltskin! Love it. Thanks for the laugh.

Sara said...

I wish you could hear me belly laughing over here. I just love what "chooses you" each week.

Vivian Mahoney said...

This is funny! Thanks for a laugh.

BlogBurst.com