"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."

Borges

Friday, September 07, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle, Dead at 88



Madeleine L'Engle died last night. She was, for me an inspiration. I've shared her wonderful books with so many people. I'm deeply saddened and feel her loss keenly. Like Kelly at Big A, little a, A Wrinkle in Time meant the world to me when I was growing up. The book went on to be one of my children's favorites as well and now I am reading it to my grandchildren.

AmoXcalli is in mourning. The kidlit blogosphere is in mourning.

There may be more later as I find out more. This is a tremendous loss for literature and the world.

I'll be adding links below as they come in:

Publishers Weekly

Publisher's Weekly Tribute to Madeleine L'Engle dated 9/13/07

An interview with Madeleine L'Engle

New York Times

Madeleine L'Engle's Official Website

CNN

ABC News - Chicago

Seattle Times

Charlotte Observer

Albuerquerque Tribune

International Herald Tribune

United Press International

Shakesville

Hecate

MSNBC

The Ranting Room

CBC Canada

Jen Robinson

Kids lit

Wands and Worlds

Book Slut

The Elegant Variation

The Longstockings

New Yor
k Magazine

Episcopal Life Online

Blog From the Windowsill

Books by Night

Short News - Germany

Reuters

Showbiz Spy - UK

Literary Safari

Liz in Ink

Fuse #8

Technomom

Lessons From the Tortise


Kelley Fineman


Left Coast Mama


LizB at A Chair, a Fireplace and a Tea Cozy


Annie

Monica

Sherry

Genevieve

Washington Post

A Wrung Sponge



If I missed anyone and I'm sure I missed tons, please add them to the comments section and I'll try to get them all linked at some point.












11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the wrapup, Gina. This is obviously a loss that has hit many of us hard.

Libby said...

I put a brief mention at my blog (tortoise lessons) as well--

thanks for collecting all these here. It's wonderful to read.

Anonymous said...

I posted mid-afternoon at Writing and Ruminating: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/231052.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wrap-up. I found you through Kelly of Big A.

She will be greatly missed.

Liz B said...

Gina, thanks so much for the round up.

I just posted my memories and thoughts at http://yzocaet.blogspot.com/2007/09/madeleine-lengle.html

Anonymous said...

ere is my tribute--a collection of my favorite quotes from Wrinkle & its 2 sequels:

http://superfastreader.com/as-madeleine-put-it.htm

Monica Edinger said...

I've a post as well: http://medinger.wordpress.com/2007/09/08/madeleine-lengle-my-ya-author/

Sherry said...

yjqtvmnI'm posting all wek about Ms. L'engle and her books at Semicolon. Today's entry is an annotated bibliography of all her published works:
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=2128

Stacey Shubitz said...

This is sad. Thanks for the info though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting all of these. I think you have the most complete round-up I've seen.

Phantom Scribbler has an open thread with many posts here:

http://phantomscribbler.blogspot.com/2007/09/madeleine-l-open-thread.html

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I posted about it last week too. Thanks for this great list of links. It is very sad what we have lost, but amazing what she gave us.

BlogBurst.com